Thursday, April 12, 2012

Now & Then

Is the time period in which the play was set related to today's world??

My answer would have to be YES. Let me give you some reason why do I think so. Well, here we go.

1) Economic slowdown
- One of the themes of the play was economic slowdown, particularly farm depression. I think this fact relates to today's world, because as you know we are experiencing a crisis therefore I assume it is kind of relevant nowadays. People should know better. They should learn from the mistakes that this particular family in the play did in the past and they ought to avoid them.

2) Dysfunctional family/ies
- Another theme on which this book was based are the dysfunctions of family. At the very beginning, the author made us think that the family was perfect. Later on, we found out it isn't quite true. In my opinion, nowadays lots of families look like they are perfect on the first sight, but if you were to find out whether it's true or not, I think you would be really surprised how many families are disturbed. This is another point why I think that the play is relevant to today's world.

3) Secret/s
- The family in this play had a huge secret. They buried their child who was so called "abomination of nature", because it was a child of a mother and her son. After keeping it a secret, the family was not the same ever since. Nor were they happy. My point is, that nowadays many people have secrets which are eating them up but they are just too much of a cowards to come clean. I'm going to say it once again, they ought to learn from the mistakes of this particular family in this play.

No comments:

Post a Comment